Here's To You . . .

I can't say that I have been doing this a "long" time compared to the years some women have been. My measly  342 days can't be compared to 4,323 days or even a lifetime. When I first began this journey I was bound to not only share my story but to be informed and keep myself informed. That has been one of the biggest and important things, is being informed. Make your own calls, ask your own questions because at the end of the day it is your state of mind. I wanted to share my feelings with the world and other wives especially that maybe, just maybe other women could relate to my situation. Not to mention that, personally it is therapeutic for me to "write it out."

This week I was asked to be a guest speaker at the 2013 Second Chance Conference in Toronto, Canada. As a prison wife. Which of course I was happy to say "yes!" It really excites me because the world, well at least maybe couple hundred people need to see and need to know that prison wives are lonely, desperate or anything that the cliche may entail.

That as a prison wife, I am strong.

I am not weak, nor is any other woman that is walking this journey. This journey is not for the weak that is for sure. So as I read the email from a representative from Second Chance, I feel as though I could hold the power. The power to share my story, stories of other women - how we cope, how we communicate - the ups the downs and everything in between. And then I thought to myself, maybe just maybe this is what I was suppose to do in the world. I was obviously suppose to live this life because here I am but now I know I was suppose to live this life to the fullest. I want to tell the world what this is like, it may not be fun or easy but we are still happy! That we don't give up because life is tough, we tougher! 

So here's to all the other woman (and even men) that stay strong for their loved ones, they don't waiver their feelings, they are proud to be who they are and who they love. We cannot allow our fears or the judgement of others hold us back because this is our life! 

"There are millions of women with husbands, fathers, sons, daughters, brothers in prison and I think for us, we see you are trying to stay informed and also trying to inform others." - Email from Second Chance

No comments

Leave a Reply

Make Custom Gifts at CafePress